UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL OF BUTARE(CHUB)
Quality health care, Training and Research

Historical background

The CHUB, University Teaching Hospital of Butare, is created in 1928. By the time, it was The Butare Hospital. The Butare Hospital became a University Teaching Hospital in 1966. In 2000, The CHUB, University Teaching Hospital (Centre Hospitalier Universitaire OF BUTARE) was established by Law with an autonomous status. The laboratory became a department of Medical Biology depending on the CHUB. And in 2002 was the recruiting of administrative personnel according to the new organizational chart. Here are important dates and facts at CHUB:

IMPORTANT DATES and FACTS

  • 1928: Creation of Butare hospital.
  • 1954: Research Laboratory on veterinary medicine for Rwanda, Burundi & Eastern Belgian Congo.
  • 1964: The Laboratory was given to National University of Rwanda, NUR (After creation of Faculty of Medicine in 1963.)
  • 1966: The Butare Hospital became a University Teaching Hospital (HUB).
  • 1967: The Laboratory was given to Faculty of Medicine /National University of Rwanda (NUR).
    The Laboratory was definitely named « University Laboratory » and was separated from its veterinary medicine branch.
  • 2000: established CHU by Law with an autonomous status. The laboratory became a department of Medical Biology depending on the CHUB.
  • 2002: Recruiting of administrative personnel according to the new organizational Administrate.